Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Gatewood Building Drawings

The following images are drawings of the Gatewood building on UNCG campus.
 
Rendition 1: 
With this first rendition I focused on line and a little detail to give the image some interest when viewing it as well as helping to define different spaces/objects. I tried to accomplish this detail by adding in the bricks; by following the lines of the bricks you can differentiate depth in the building.
 
In drawing this, I did feel that I had trouble getting what I saw while viewing/drawing the building to fit in the boxes we were told to use; I feel that I had to "cram" some information into the tight box/space so the proportions appear to be a bit off. With that in mind I tried to fix that in my next rendition:
 
Rendition 2:
 
 In drawing this rendition I chose to not focus on the bricks of the building, as it was brought to my attention during the in class critique of the first drawing, that they felt distracting to the eye. So, I decided to leave them out until I completed all three drawings to see if I agreed with the statement, and, I do. I feel the image is a lot cleaner in appearance and doesn't make the eye focus on the bricks of the building but instead on the lines of the construction.
 
I also tried to focus on proportion, making sure the height of the doors meet the same area of the lamp posts, the window proportions were some what right and so on. There are still areas to improve upon such as my line weight and straightness of my overall lines.  
 
So, with that I then began working on a single image of the Gatewood building. I decided to make two of these as well to challenge myself and try to get a better overall image.
 
Rendition 1:
In this first rendition of the single image, I focused on the previous two things: proportion and line but also tried to work on the line weight used in the image and overall straightness of the line.
 
Most often when I draw, I'll admit, I don't tend to pay much attention to the weight of the line coming from my drawing utensil; I tend to just go with the flow and the finished piece will usually end up looking as though the same line weight had been used throughout the image. Keeping this in mind as I drew was a bit of a challenge for me, as I would forget to be mindful of this and my lines would come out heavier in some places than I'd like it to otherwise be. But overall, I feel this image was successful in trying to be mindful of this; as you can see line variations in the shadows on the railings by the stairs, and the bars behind the main doors.
 
As far as straightness of the line goes, I know I continue to need to practice with this method. It was mentioned in class we could "cheat" by marking the top and bottom of the page with a ruler and then follow along free hand, but I chose to try to do it 100% on my own, and I'll admit some of the lines could use more work-but that will come with further practice. Lastly, I chose to re-draw this image from the second rendition of the three drawing above to see if  I could better improve it in some way... With the next iteration I drew a new angle by sitting outside viewing the building.
 
Rendition 2:

Again, with drawing this rendition I tried to focus on my line weight, scale, proportion and straightness. When drawing this second drawing I found it a tad bit easier reminding myself to be mindful of my line weight, and had less "accidents" like I had in the drawing beforehand. I also found it easier getting the required information into the box dimensions asked to draw this into; and my proportions seem to be getter better as well; not perfect, but getting better. As far as line straightness, I know I continue to need work on this, but I know I'll get there with further practice.
 
Overall, I like both individual drawings for different reasons. I like rendition one because of the angle I draw from (I liked adding in a portion of the roof) and I like rendition two because I was more mindful of my line weight during this drawing than I had been previously on any of the other Gatewood building drawings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment