Saturday, September 14, 2013

Textbook Exercises 3.1 through 3.6

The following images below are from the exercises completed from the textbook:

Exercise 3.1:
 
I'd never really taken the time to draw three-dimensional boxes before, and found it at first to be a little challenging. I think out of the six drawn here the one circled is the best. I say that because the lines are straighter than the others, (although they still need some work) also the lines seem to be most proportional towards each other.
 
Exercise 3.2:
 
With this exercise I felt I was becoming a little more confident in drawing boxes. I feel like the top drawing circled is the best here, I had some difficulty with the larger bottom box as it was open on the end and that threw me off a bit (showing depth inwards). As a whole my lines are straighter than they were in exercise 3.1.  
 
Exercise 3.3:
 
Overall, I had some trouble with drawing bottles, specifically in drawing the neck and opening. With the opening at the top I felt like the overall shapes I was producing seemed to be more circular vs. more of an ellipsis (which is what they should have looked like because of the angle I was viewing the bottle when drawing them); however, the guideline that states the circular shape must touch all sides of the box threw me off a bit and the openings all came out larger than what I felt they should've been. I think I did a better job with the sideways bottles than I did with the vertical ones, I'm not sure why that is. I did feel a bit confined with the boxes (having to draw an object in boxes); I've never drawn like that before, I've always been more freehand. And feel like I could've drawn a better bottle without having a box constricting my movements. So, that is something I am trying to adjust to and improve on.
 
Exercise 3.4:
 
By the time I drew this exercise, we, as a class, had practiced some more drawing within boxes, so that "constraining" feeling was easing up a bit (although I'm still finding it a tad bit difficult). With this exercise I was suppose to draw something prismatic inside of a cube/box. I felt like the cylinder (#1) and the cone (#2) were the best I had drawn on this sheet because I kept the lines relatively straight, and was able to match the lines up to the grids on the top and bottom of the cube (which I wasn't able to do with all the drawing shown here).
 
Exercise 3.5:
 
 
I felt the cone circled on the bottom of this sheet was drawn the best due to me being able to match the lines to the grid on the bottom of the cone relatively well. And, also due to the fact that I felt the drawing overall, showed the viewer a sense of roundness in the object. I feel like the worst one here is the cone that looks more like a triangle (to the right of the circled cone). I tried to make that cone wider, and I feel like that didn't work out the way I'd planned as it doesn't appear to have much roundness to it.
 
Exercise 3.6:
 
I found this exercise to be the most fun and challenging due to having to find objects to transform in these cubes... I think the mug and paperweight were my best renditions in this exercise because they look most like the objects they are in real life. I also feel like the triangular paperweight is the best triangular object/shape I've made throughout the 6 exercises because its pretty proportional. I do feel like I need work on the mug handle however; I wasn't sure how to draw that in the cube guidelines... 

No comments:

Post a Comment