Sunday, October 13, 2013

Interior/Exterior Value Study

The following drawing were done in class for the interior/exterior value study:

 
This image (above) is my first drawing of the fairy tale pumpkin brought into class by Professor Burrowes. In the drawing, the pumpkin is sitting on the cutting table in studio with a folding partition behind it. Off to the left, you can see a small portion of a wood slab placed behind the partition by another student/class.
 
I feel that the pumpkin in this drawing is shaded well; however, I do feel the surrounding objects are a bit "washed out" or not shaded appropriately. I say this because the partition doesn't look three dimensional at all, as I found that to be a difficult task when working on this piece.
 
This drawing was completed using the "cross-hatching" shading technique.  
 
 
The second drawing (above) was the one of the exterior, or rather looking out through the window. When choosing my perspective/view for this drawing I choose to focus on the window ornament currently sitting in the window frame in studio. I thought it added an interesting dynamic to the overall layout of the drawing.
 
I tried to shade in the circles of the window ornament to show the viewer that some circles were made with different colors (i.e. pink, purple, yellow and blue). Afterward, I began drawing the outside view of the trees seen behind this piece. In drawing the trees I tried to shade in different colors to give the viewer a sense that the trees were separate from each other yet still grouped.
 
In drawing this piece, I incorporated the scribbling technique (in the trees), cross-hatching technique (in the inner circles) and the hatching technique (in the outer rim of the circles) to try and give the image overall depth and separation from different objects.
 
 
The final drawing done, in this particular shading/value study, was another rendition of the pumpkin as I felt out of the two previously done that one could use more attention/work. So, in trying to re-draw this, I chose to try and shade in a way to add a bit more dimension and depth to the overall image. I'm not sure if that was done successfully, but I do feel that it is, overall, better than the first attempt. This is because the background doesn't look so flat and boring to the eye.
 
In drawing this second rendition of the pumpkin, I chose to use cross-hatching and hatching shading techniques.
 
I didn't use stippling in any of these drawings because, although I find the overall effect beautiful, its a difficult and time consuming process to complete. 


No comments:

Post a Comment