Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Three Design Quotes to Live By

In working on this project, I selected the three following quotes:

"Love your experiments (as you would an ugly child) joy is the engine of growth exploit the liberty in casting your work as beautiful experiments, iterations, attempts, trials and errors. Take the long view and allow yourself the fun of failure every day."

"Go deep. The deeper you go the more likely you will discover something of value."

"Break it. Stretch it. Bend it. Crush it. Crack it. Fold it."

I felt the three quotes selected from the sheet given in class applied to my own ideas of a good design process to work by.

From there I rewrote the quotes on an 18x24 sheet of paper in architectural lettering and drew things I felt represented the quote.

 
I felt drawn to the first quote because I love all my creations, even if they're not the most artful/beautiful pieces known to mankind. The illustration I drew is of a ceramic vase I made a few years ago that didn't come out very well (the paint bubbled a little in the kiln, so there are bare spaces of clay that aren't necessarily appealing to the eye), however, I still love it to this day, and display it proudly in my living room because I made it-pure and simple.
 
The second quote drew me in because when I'm presented with an idea of creation I will usually sit and mull it over in my mind "going deeper" into the thought of creating whatever it is before I begin working on it. The illustration is quite self explanatory-a deep ocean, at the bottom sits a trunk of gold and treasures symbolizing that design gets better the deeper you go into thought.
 
The last quote I selected I believe is essential to great design. You need to play with the object/medium you're working with before you can create something well-especially if the medium is new to you. I felt silly putty was a humorous example of this quote, but really I could've drawn any artistic medium here and it would've worked well with the quote.  

No comments:

Post a Comment