The article Greensboro: An Architectural Record discusses the development of the Glenwood and Piedmont Hieghts neighborhoods in Greensboro. The neighborhoods of Glenwood Piedmont Hieghts were included in the expanded city limits in 1981 but it wasn't included as a neighborhood in the city of Greensboro until 1923. The use of streetcars in the city helped with the success of both neighborhoods due to the direct access that developers had to the streetcars whom worked at the Greensboro electric company. However, the streetcars didn't thoroughly help the two neighborhoods with population, that is credited to the employment opportunities that arose within the furniture manufacturers, lumber companies, woodworking machinery companies and baking companies within the immediate area.
The houses found in Glenwood and Piedmont Heights reflect the popular styles of the period in which they were built; which is most commonly Colonial revivals that utilize floor plans of the L-plan, pyramidal-roofed cottages and bungalows. Many of the houses reflect similarities within each other, which suggest to observers that they could've possibly been mail-order plans when they were built originally. Although the neighborhoods of Glenwood and Piedmont Hieghts were mostly considered residential, they did have small churches, schools, shops and industries within the city limits.
Quotes from the article:
"Although only the names Glenwood and Piedmont Heights survive, many developments were planned in the area in the first decade of the century." (Brown, 1995).
"A number of houses in the neighborhoods are identical or almost identical in design, suggesting they were built speculatively, perhaps from mail-order plans or kits." (Brown, 1995).
"The most significant nonresidential building [in Glenwood and Piedmont Heights] is the former Charles D. McIver School at 617 West Lee Street. A symmetrical, classically detailed brick structure, the 1923 school was designed by the New York architectural firm of Starrett and Van Vleck. It is the only property in Glenwood and Piedmont Hieghts listed in the National Register of Historic Places." (Brown, 1995).