Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Recent and Past Crochet Projects

It's been awhile since I updated this tab on my blog, but since then I haven't stopped crocheting whenever I have a few extra personal minuets. The following images are of recent projects I've completed and/or made awhile back but just got around to documenting with my camera...

Crocheted Hats:

 
The idea behind these hats were inspired by the "slouchy beanie" trend I often see being worn around college campuses or on youth in the general public. I wanted to keep it "light" in design so it could be worn from spring to fall (and possibly winter depending on your geographic location)-which help make it more universal. 

 
The pattern for this hat, was not one of my own sadly but rather was one I found in an advanced crochet booklet. I was drawn to the intricate design of the band around the base of the hat as well as the beautiful broomstick stitch. This is a hat that constantly receives comments from others when it's being worn or is on display.
 
 
Again, inspired but the "slouchy beanie" trend seen going on within the younger generations I created multiples of the same hat-experimenting with hue choices and band options (the slate option has a mixture of colors in the band-which I feel is a bit more successful than the others because it creates more depth and dimension to the overall appearance of the hat).

 
The design behind these "hats" or ear warmers came into being after a trip to Washington D.C in the cold winter month of December. While walking around the National Mall with my husband I noticed a lot of people, mostly women, wearing this style of knit/crochet hat. They were mostly solid in design (no interweaving), but they allowed the wearer the option of having their hair up-something beanies don't really allow people to do... Taking that inspiration I worked on this intricate design.
 
Scarves:
 
 
These four scarves were inspired by the house scarves worn by the characters in the Harry potter films. There are two variations of the house scarves (I believe one was used in the first two films, then it changed from film three on-this design was modeled on the newer version of the two). I crocheted these using the Tunisian stitch which gave the scarf a very flat yet dimensional texture; this I felt worked well because the scarves in the film were knitted-and the Tunisian stitch is a close relative in appearance to the knit style creating when knitting.

 
Having worked on many "feminine" projects, it was requested by my husband (and a few of his friends) to come up with a more "masculine" scarf design. I experimented with color choices in doing this and also texture weight. The left three scarves, as well as the top right scarf were all done with a 4 ply yarn weight in a Tunisian stich; this created a thin weighted scarf that was easily buildable (by wrapping it around the neck multiple times), which was great for transitioning from fall into the early winter months. The bottom right scarf was done in a heavier weighted yarn and doubled; (taking two yarn strings and crocheting them together creating heavier weighted stitched). The finished product resulted in a heavy weight scarf perfect for very cold winter days/nights.  

 
These scarves were one of the first projects created by myself when I began crocheting on a more regular basis. Because my stitch "vocabulary" was very minimal at the time-I sort of "winged" these, making a unique stitch of my own that crossed between a double and half-double stitch-looking back now I'm not sure if I'd be able to duplicate this stitch because of its oddness.
 
 
These infinity scarves (a scarf without a distinct end) were inspired by the recent trend and demand for them seen in winter accessories. I created again a unique cross pattern stitch that mixed together triple and double crochet stitches. The outcome created a medium weight scarf that was buildable (depending on how many times you wrapped it around) allowing for varying degrees of warmth.
 
Cold Weather Accessories:
 
 
These boot cuffs were inspired by my own personal need for them. When wearing rain boots the top of the boot shaft often cuts into my legs making it a painful experience I can't wait to get off by the end of the day. In making this simple yet effective cuffs I was able to "cushion" the top of the boot shaft, reducing the pain I feel when I'm wearing the boots... They don't look half bad either ;) These were created with simple double crochet stitches with a decorative scallop edging on one side.
 
 
These legwarmers were a "goof" project-meaning I just worked away to see what I could do, and what the outcome might be; and these were produced. I did a basic "wave" design in the pattern to allow for additional "slouchyness" when being worn. The "wave" portion of the legwarmers also help retain heat when being worn because they trap air within them. You could also, in essence make these longer or shorter depending on the wearers preference.
 
 
These socks came into being because of a special request from a family friend. I'd never made socks before, and in beginning of the project I produced a smaller "female" size sock in the blue hue. However, the request came from a man who's shoe size was around (I believe) 13, so after many failed attempts, I finally figured out a pattern that allowed me to make a sock large enough to accommodate his feet comfortably. These socks would typically be worn within the home on a cold night; not necessarily inside shoes due to the extensive thickness of them.

 
Playful pink piggy slippers were made due to the finding of this pattern online. I felt they were a goofy item I's love to try my hand at and thought they turned out pretty well.
 

Another iteration of the piggy slippers, this time done in contrasting tones of violet, pink and white.
 

 
These were another project created "just because". The pattern was an intricate "lacey" design that caught my attention because of their light feminine detail.
 

Amigurumi:
 
 
This amigurumi figure was the first in a series of Doctor Who characters made as a gift to my husband. (An avid fan of the popular BBC show). This amigurumi is a depiction of the "Ood" on the show; a gentle, yet "scary" appearing creature that holds its brain in its own hands.
 

 
This was the second creature made from the Doctor Who series created for my husband. It is a depiction of the modern (post 2007) Dalek on the popular BBC show. This is one of the best pieces I've made to date; it stands at about 13 inches tall and it very intricately created.
  
 
The last creature made into an amigurumi character for my husband was a vintage inspired Dalek (pre 2007). This too is one of my most prized crocheted pieces; it also stands at approx. 13 inches tall.
 
 
A ripe green apple that never spoils.
 

A ripe red apple that never spoils.


 
This was created for my husband as a small gift. It sits about 3 inches high and was created with single crochet stitches worked in the round.
 
 
This creation was a gift to my brother-in-law for a past Christmas. This creature is called "Totoro" from a Disney Hayao Miyazaki film titles "Totoro". Sean, my brother in law is an avid fan of both Miyazaki and Totoro.
 
 
Another festive Christmas gift given to close friends and family one year. Each person was given a 3 inch tall reindeer with their name embroidered on them.
. 
 
Similar to the reindeer ornaments given above, this is a Rudolph version. It two is about 3 inches in height.
 

 
A Santa Claus amigurumi ornament.

Randomness:
 
 
This pencil case was created by special request. It is lined with white muslin fabric, complete with a functioning zipper. It measures approx. 12 inches wide by 6 inches high.

 
This was the first pencil case created for my husband to help store his drawing pencils when not in use. The case is lined with white muslin fabric, with a match lime green zipper on top of the pouch. It measures approx. 12 inches wide by 6 inches high.

 
This was the last special request pencil case made-inspired by the Mario Bros. toadstool. It is also lined with white muslin with a vibrant red zipper on top of the pouch. It too measures approx. 12 inches wide by 6 inches tall.

 
These various hacky sacks were inspired by my brother and his childhood love for them. They were created with single crochet stitches worked in the round and filled with the green pellets seen on the lower left hand side. 

No comments:

Post a Comment